CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

I Hope I Get Asked to the Dance - A Post Long Overdue

I am blessed to have a friend down here who works at UCSD with Student affairs. Not only does she hook me up with free premiere tickets to awesome movies like Disturbia (please see post below), but she also can get you into College dances for free (rad huh?) Who is that friend you ask? Lisa Garcia! (Lisa, this is the shout-out that you requested. I hope you enjoy your 5 minutes of blog fame).

So Lisa's roommate Melanie and I had been joking about going to crash this college dance. Melanie decided that she wasn't going to mess around and risk having someone else ask me, so she went all out in asking for my company at the dance. I returned home one evening to find my room looking like this:
Swedish Fish were everywhere and I had a bowl of like 25 gold fish sitting on my table. (The Swedish fish were eaten in one day, and the gold fish were dead in two). There was also a poster board with some clever phrase about fish in the sea I believe.

I decided right away I needed to be as creative in my response. So after much deliberation I answered with a text message that read: 'Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, Yes I will go to semi-formal with you'. Needless to say she was blown away with my creativity.

The dance was a mega-hit to say the least. I forgot how fun it is to watch awkward 18 and 19 year olds try and fit in. We played some fun games like: Mimic the dancer next to you, walk up to a complete stranger and start freaking, and my favorite of all, dance like your drunk so the chaperon approaches you.

Our night concluded with us stealing the balloon tower from the reception area and planting it in a random house. Hopefully we didn't embarass you too much Lisa. Thanks for the memories!

Here are our dance pictures:
Group Picture

Couple picture

At the end of the day I was reminded how much I miss High School Dances.

9 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

So this was a girls choice dance.

Question

Did your date take you out to dinner or did she make you dinner?

tjcool18 said...

Answer -

We went out for Sushi and we split the bill. In San Diego dating is more hip. We don't get caught up in those traditional sexist dating traditions.

mj said...

tj - i saw a comment from you on kyle's blog and decided to check out your blog. hope things are going well for you in southern cal. we live in northern cal now and love it! have a great day!

3703 said...

How is it possible to get three-person comments?

I waited and waited and never got asked to this dance. But I had TJ tell all about his night when he got home. He had stars in his eyes.

I don't think it is hip at all to split the pay. I think they should switch and make girls pay for ten years and then guys pay for the next ten.

Will you go again next year?

Did she offer to pay for your meal? Or did she tell you that you had to pay your half?>

Did she drive?

Why did you steal?

Spencer Davis said...

I like the Rumbler's idea. 10 years of girls paying for dates is a topic that I hope comes up in Decision '08.

If the dance had been in Utah, then I would have been willing to wager that the girls would have gotten together and served soup in bread bowls that their moms had made for this special occasion.

Don't worry Mr. Rumble, as soon as work gets out that you are the #1 ranked racquetball player at UCSD, the chics will be all over you.

Rachie said...

TJ, I had to comment. This is too funny. You SO belong in high school. I love the should/shoulder pose.

Bournes said...

I wanted to make you wait for my comment as long as I had to wait for this blog entry!!! FINALLY I made it! I'm not sure I like all the criticism about the financials of our date!! For all those enraged by the fact of us spliting the bill, and my error in not paying...heres my best attempt for reconciliation. I asked him to the dance...not to dinner, not to after dance activities...solely to the dance. Does my financial obbligation extend beyond the activity that I request his presence for?

To the rumbler...I am disappointed in your selfish thinking! Previous to this era women had NO rights...no right to property, no right to vote, no right to have a career. The traditions were set in the male dominated era and should not be compensated for. If you're going to request a complete shift of financial responsibility, I'm going to request that all the rights you enjoy are stripped. It's only fair. And we didn't steal...we asked the coordinators if we could take the balloons...false accusations!

Tyler and Erika Hanks said...

Hey TJ! Thanks for coming to Glendale, we loved seeing you and especially loved going to the American Idol concert with ya! Good times!!! http://erikaandtyhanks.blogspot.com
P.S. I am sure excited to try your yummy brownie recipe!

Anonymous said...

Well said.